Do you have dozens of craft projects that are sitting in boxes, collecting dust? If so, it might be time to take them out and put your creative spin on some refreshed decorations. One accessory that often gets overlooked as a source of creativity is button pins – those little circles with designs or words stamped onto them.
Not only can they be worn on clothing to make bold statements, but they can also be used to decorate other items like frames, scrapbooks, notebooks, and more.
Button pins are an easy way to show off your own style-and luckily for crafters everywhere-they’re really affordable too! That said, they don’t always stay connected as well over long periods: buttons tend to fall off easily depending on their material and how they were attached.
Today we’ll cover the ins and outs of how to keep button pins from falling off properly so you can get back to crafting again without having to worry about losing any along the way!
Why do Button Pins Keep Falling Off?
1. Thin Metal
Before we start discussing solutions to keep button pins from falling off, it’s important to understand why they may be slipping away in the first place. Many buttons are made with thin metal and a few layers of cardboard-like paper that allow them to stick together without much effort. Unfortunately, when you attach them to clothing or other heavy materials, the pressure can cause them to pop out.
2. Poorly Applied Glue
Another common reason why button pins come loose is due to a lack of glue holding them together. Even if you’ve purchased quality buttons with thicker metal pieces, they won’t stay put unless glued properly from the get-go.
Required Items to Keep Buttons Pins from Falling Off
- Safety Pins
- Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Wire
- Magnetic Buttons
- Jewelry Pliers
- Clear Nail Polish
10 Ways How to Keep Button Pins From Falling Off
1. Use Safety Pins
Safety pins are one of the most common and best ways to keep button pins from falling off. Simply turn it around so the pointed end is facing behind your clothing article, then slide the button onto it and fasten the safety pin in place.
2. Apply Hot Glue Gun
Hot glue guns are an excellent tool to keep button pins from falling off clothing. All you need to do is add a dab of hot glue on the back of each button and press it firmly against your clothing article for a few seconds. This will create an airtight seal that won’t come undone unless you intentionally remove it!
3. Utilize Craft Wire
Craft wire is another great option for keeping button pins from falling off clothing articles. All you need to do is wrap the craft wire around the back of your pin before attaching it to your clothing article. This will give it extra support and prevent it from slipping off easily.
4. Make Use of Magnetic Buttons
If you’re looking for a more permanent solution, magnetic buttons are the way to go. You can purchase them online or in craft stores, and they come with two separate pieces-one to attach to your clothing article and one for the button pin itself. This makes it easier than ever before to keep your pins secure without fear of them slipping off!
5. Tighten Loose Pins With Jewelry Pliers
For those who already have a few button pins but they’ve become loose over time, jewelry pliers are key. With a bit of pressure and patience, you can securely tighten them up again and keep them from falling off.
6. Seal With Clear Nail Polish
If you’re looking for a quick and easy solution to keep your pins from falling off, clear nail polish is the way to go. Just apply a few coats of it on the back of each pin and let it dry-this will create an airtight seal that won’t give way unless you purposely remove it.
7. Add Double-Sided Tape
Another great way to keep button pins from falling off is by adding a few strips of double-sided tape to the back of each one before attaching them to your clothing article. This will provide extra support and prevent them from slipping away too easily.
8. Secure with Thread
For a more secure option, you can use thread to keep your button pins from falling off clothing articles. All you need to do is loop the thread around each pin and knot it tightly so there’s no chance of them slipping away.
9. Use Nail Glue
If you don’t have any hot glue or double-sided tape on hand, nail glue is a great alternative. Simply apply some to the back of each button pin and press it firmly onto your clothing article for a few seconds. This will create an airtight seal that won’t give way unless you purposely remove it!
10. Use Beads and Jump Rings
For a more decorative option, you can use beads and jump rings to keep your button pins from falling off clothing articles. All you need to do is string the bead and jump ring onto the pin before attaching it to your clothing article-this. It will create an extra layer of support that won’t come undone easily.
These are just a few of the ways how to keep button pins from falling off clothing articles-there are many other methods you can use as well! Whether you go with a simple and straightforward solution like safety pins or something more decorative like beads and jump rings, there is sure to be an option that suits your needs and taste.
So don’t let loose pins be the bane of your wardrobe-give one of these methods a try today!
8 Safety Precautions to Make
When wearing a button pin, the last thing you want is for it to slide right off. While there are no guarantees that your pin won’t come loose due to wear and tear, there are certain steps you can take to make sure this doesn’t happen. Here are eight safety precautions to make when wearing a button pin to ensure it doesn’t fall off.
1. Choose the right clothing. Since buttons are pinned through the fabric, it’s important to choose the right clothes for your pins and patches. Cotton is the best choice as it grips well without damaging the surface of your pins or patches. Avoid wearing delicate fabrics such as silk or nylon.
2. Take off the pin when washing. When it’s time to do laundry, make sure your button pins are taken off first! If you don’t have a safe place to store them while they wait for their next use, keep them on a piece of cloth or a paper towel.
3. Pin through multiple layers of fabric. When pinning your button pins, make sure to go through more than one layer of fabric. This will offer more support and stability for the pin, which will stop it from coming off when in motion or bending over.
4. Use two pins instead of one. If you have a large button pin, consider using two pins instead of one for extra security. This will help to prevent the pin from being pulled out by accident.
5. Use paper clips or clothespins as backings. Paperclips and clothespins are great ways to provide additional support when wearing your pins. Simply attach them behind the button pin to help keep it in place.
6. Choose pins with a safety pin or other secure backing. When looking for the right buttons, opt for ones that have a safety pin or other secure backing. This will make sure your pins stay in place no matter what you’re wearing or doing.
7. Secure with glue. If you’re feeling extra cautious, a dab of super glue can act as a failsafe against your pins coming loose. Just make sure to apply the glue sparingly so that it won’t damage the fabric.
8. Inspect regularly. The best thing you can do is check your button pins occasionally for signs of wear and tear. If you find any loose threads or weak spots, take the extra step to reinforce the pin with one of the methods above.
With these tips, your button pins will stay in place for as long as you need them to! While there’s no guarantee that they won’t come off, you can rest assured that they’ll stay safely in place, no matter what. So go ahead and show off your pins with confidence!
Button pins are a great way to express yourself in a unique and creative way. Whether it’s showing off your favorite fandom, designating your pride for a cause, or accenting your style, button pins can do it all.
While they may seem like fragile trinkets, proper care of them while you wear them will prevent any potential disasters from occurring. It is essential to use the right kind of backing material when pinning this craft item to an article of clothing; no one wants their pins falling off randomly!
Keep in mind the textures of both fabrics when picking out an appropriate backer: if it sticks on too strong, then make sure that won’t damage the fabric, and if it’s sticking too low, then invest in another option that’ll provide a better grip.
Lastly, make sure you’re not washing delicate pins with rough materials that could scrape off the designs or rip off those backings! With these rules on how to keep button pins from falling off in mind, there is no stopping you from expressing yourself in whichever manner you wish through button pins!
But remember – don’t forget to pin safely and with caution so that when a proud display of your creations, people admire them safely!